mm/memblock: export memblock_{start/end}_of_DRAM

David Hildenbrand david at redhat.com
Sat Oct 31 06:05:45 EDT 2020

On 31.10.20 10:18, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 10:38:42AM +0200, Mike Rapoport wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "system memory block"? There could be a lot of
>> interpretations if you take into account memory hotplug, "mem=" option,
>> reserved and firmware memory.
>>
>> I'd suggest you to describe the entire use case in more detail. Having
>> the complete picture would help finding a proper solution.
>
> I think we need the code for the driver trying to do this as an RFC
> submission.  Everything else is rather pointless.

Sharing RFCs is most probably not what people want when developing
advanced hypervisor features :)

@Sudarshan, I recommend looking at the slides of the KVM Forum talk from
yesterday

https://kvmforum2020.sched.com/event/eE40/towards-an-alternative-memory-architecture-joao-martins-oracle?iframe=no

It contains a nice summary of the state of art, and how "mem=", devdax,
and dax_hmat can be used to tackle the issue in a hypervisor.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb