[GIT PULL] Allwinner Fixes for 5.10

Arnd Bergmann arnd at kernel.org
Fri Oct 30 05:06:31 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:59 PM Ard Biesheuvel <ardb at kernel.org> wrote:

> This is what Ilias and I tried to argue [0] earlier today, but Andrew
> has a different view.
>
> [0] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/CAMj1kXGQDeOGj+2+tMnPhjoPJRX+eTh8-94yaH_bGwDATL7pkg@mail.gmail.com/

Could we work around it in by updating the DT contents at boot time before it
gets to the driver? We've done that in the past on specific machines to avoid
breaking DT compatibility, though I don't like the idea of doing it
for everyone.

Is there a safe fallback? I.e. would it break other platforms if we were to
always replace phy-mode="rgmii" with phy-mode="rgmii-id"? I suppose we
have no way of detecting the actual phy from early DT code in order to
figure out if the device behind the mdio bus is affected. The best we could
do might be either a list of affected boards or a list of affected ethernet
controllers for which this gets updated.

      Arnd