[systemd-devel] BTI interaction between seccomp filters in systemd and glibc mprotect calls, causing service failures

Topi Miettinen toiwoton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 06:12:09 EDT 2020

On 22.10.2020 12.31, Catalin Marinas wrote:

>>> i thought mprotect(PROT_EXEC) would get filtered
>>> with or without bti, is that not the case?
>>
>> We can adjust the filter in systemd to match any combination of
>> flags to allow and to deny.
>
> Yes but Szabolcs' point to Topi was that if we can adjust the filters to
> allow mprotect(PROT_EXEC), why not allow mprotect(PROT_EXEC|PROT_BTI)
> instead? Anyway, I see the MDWX and BTI as complementary policies so
> ideally we shouldn't have to choose between one or the other. If we
> allow mprotect(PROT_EXEC), that would override MDWX and also disable
> BTI.

Allowing mprotect(PROT_EXEC|PROT_BTI) would mean that all you need to
circumvent MDWX is to add PROT_BTI flag. I'd suggest getting the flags
right at mmap() time or failing that, reverting the PROT_BTI for legacy
programs later.

Could the kernel tell the loader of the BTI situation with auxiliary
vectors? Then it would be easy for the loader to always use the best
mmap() flags without ever needing to mprotect().

-Topi