arm64: dropping prevent_bootmem_remove_notifier

David Hildenbrand david at redhat.com
Sat Oct 17 05:35:05 EDT 2020

On 17.10.20 01:11, Sudarshan Rajagopalan wrote:

> Hello Anshuman,

David here,

in general, if your driver offlines+removes random memory, it is doing
something *very* wrong and dangerous. You shouldn't ever be
offlining+removing memory unless
a) you own that boot memory after boot. E.g., the ACPI driver owns DIMMs
after a reboot.
b) you added that memory via add_memory() and friends.

Even trusting that offline memory can be used by your driver is wrong.

Just imagine you racing with actual memory hot(un)plug, you'll be in
*big* trouble. For example,

1. You offlined memory and assume you can use it. A DIMM can simply get
unplugged. you're doomed.
2. You offlined+removed memory and assume you can use it. A DIMM can
simply get unplugged and the whole machine would crash.

Or imagine your driver running on a system that has virtio-mem, which
will try to remove/offline+remove memory that was added by virtio-mem/
is under its control.

Long story short: don't do it.

There is *one* instance in Linux where we currently allow it for legacy
reasons. It is powernv/memtrace code that offlines+removes boot memory.
But here we are guaranteed to run in an environment (HW) without any
actual memory hot(un)plug.

I guess you're going to say "but in our environment we don't have ..." -
this is not a valid argument to change such generic things upstream /
introducing such hacks.

> In the patch that enables memory hot-remove (commit bbd6ec605c0f
> ("arm64/mm: Enable memory hot remove")) for arm64, there’s a notifier
> put in place that prevents boot memory from being offlined and removed.
> Also commit text mentions that boot memory on arm64 cannot be removed.
> We wanted to understand more about the reasoning for this. X86 and other
> archs doesn’t seem to do this prevention. There’s also comment in the
> code that this notifier could be dropped in future if and when boot
> memory can be removed.

The issue is that with *actual* memory hotunplug (for what the whole
machinery should be used for), that memory/DIMM will be gone. And as you
cannot fixup the initial memmap, if you were to reboot that machine, you
would simply crash immediately.

On x86, you can have that easily: hotplug DIMMs on bare metal and
reboot. The DIMMs will be exposed via e820 during boot, so they are
"early", although if done right (movable_node, movable_core and
similar), they can get hotunplugged later. Important in environments
where you want to hotunplug whole nodes. But has HW on x86 will properly
adjust the initial memmap / e820, there is no such issue as on arm64.

> The current logic is that only “new” memory blocks which are hot-added
> can later be offlined and removed. The memory that system booted up with
> cannot be offlined and removed. But there could be many usercases such
> as inter-VM memory sharing where a primary VM could offline and
> hot-remove a block/section of memory and lend it to secondary VM where
> it could hot-add it. And after usecase is done, the reverse happens

That use case is using the wrong mechanisms. It shouldn't be
offlining+removing memory. Read below.

> where secondary VM hot-removes and gives it back to primary which can
> hot-add it back. In such cases, the present logic for arm64 doesn’t
> allow this hot-remove in primary to happen.
>
> Also, on systems with movable zone that sort of guarantees pages to be
> migrated and isolated so that blocks can be offlined, this logic also
> defeats the purpose of having a movable zone which system can rely on
> memory hot-plugging, which say virt-io mem also relies on for fully
> plugged memory blocks.

The MOVABLE_ZONE is *not* just for better guarantees when trying to
hotunplug memory. It also increases the number of THP/huge pages. And
that part works just fine.

> So we’re trying to understand the reasoning for such a prevention put in
> place for arm64 arch alone.
>
> One possible way to solve this is by marking the required sections as
> “non-early” by removing the SECTION_IS_EARLY bit in its section_mem_map.
> This puts these sections in the context of “memory hotpluggable” which
> can be offlined-removed and added-onlined which are part of boot RAM
> itself and doesn’t need any extra blocks to be hot added. This way of
> marking certain sections as “non-early” could be exported so that module
> drivers can set the required number of sections as “memory

Oh please no. No driver should be doing that. That's just hacking around
the root issue: you're not supposed to do that.

> hotpluggable”. This could have certain checks put in place to see which
> sections are allowed, example only movable zone sections can be marked
> as “non-early”.

I assume what your use case wants to achieve is, starting VMs with
large, contiguous memory backings, not wasting memory for the memmap in
the hypervisor.

The "traditional" way of doing that is using the "mem=" boot parameter,
and starting VMs with memory within the "never exposed to Linux" part.
While that in general works, I consider it an ugly hack. And it doesn't
really allow the hypervisor the reuse unexposed memory.

The obvious way for a driver to *allocate* memory (because that's what
you want to do!) is using alloc_contig_range(). I know, that there are
no guarantees. So you could be using CMA, ... but then, you still have
the memmap consuming memory in your hypervisor.

What you could try instead is

1. Using hugetlbfs with huge (2MB) / gigantic (1GB) (on x86) pages for
backing your guest.
2. To free up the memmap, you could then go into the direction proposed
by Muchun Song [1].

That's then a clean way for a driver to allocate/use memory without
abusing memory hot(un)plug infrastructure, minimizing the memmap
consumption.

[1]
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200915125947.26204-1-songmuchun@bytedance.com

--