[GIT PULL] ARM: SoC fixes for v5.10, part 3

Russell King - ARM Linux admin linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 13:05:24 EST 2020

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 09:44:03AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 9:04 AM Doug Anderson <dianders at chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Without static assignment, maybe we could do numbering of MMC devices
> > in some type of a pre-probe routine?  Is that what you're suggesting?
>
> Yes.
>
> So basically, the way the async probing works for say SCSI is that we
> have multiple "layers of asynchroniety". We have the usual "init calls
> done asynchronously", but then within the init calls themselves you
> can start sub-scans asynchronously.
>
> In order to get reliable ordering between multiple controllers, the
> PCI bus is probed in order in pci_init() (or whatever), so each SCSI
> controller gets called in a fixed order.
>
> That then gets to scsi_scan_host() does that async_schedule() thing to
> actually scan the SCSI buses on that host.

I'm afraid that you don't get stable device numbering on x86. You get
something that _looks_ like stable device numbering, but it really
isn't.

If you think that /dev/sda for example is always the machine's internal
HDD, that is wrong.

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with its internal HDD with a Windows
installation. Because I didn't want to destroy that in any way, I
bought an external USB3 SATA enclosure and SSD, and installed Debian
Stable on there.

When I installed Debian stable, the HDD was /dev/sda and the SSD was
/dev/sdb. When I boot Debian, the SSD is /dev/sda and the internal
HDD is /dev/sdb.

Maybe /dev/sda through /dev/sdd should be reserved for internal
motherboard drives?

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!