net: phy: Dealing with 88e1543 dual-port mode

Russell King - ARM Linux admin linux at armlinux.org.uk
Fri Nov 20 05:25:38 EST 2020

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:36:01AM +0100, Maxime Chevallier wrote:
> So maybe we could be a bit more generic, with something along these lines :
>
>     ethernet-phy at 0 {
>
>         mdi {
>             port at 0 {
>                 media = "10baseT", "100baseT", "1000baseT";
>                 pairs = <1>;
> 	    };
>
>             port at 1 {
>                 media = "1000baseX", "10gbaseR"
>             };
>         };
>     };

Don't forget that TP requires a minimum of two pairs. However, as
Andrew pointed out, we already have max-speed which can be used to
limit the speed below that which requires four pairs.

I have untested patches that allow the 88x3310 to be reconfigured
between 10GBASE-R and 1000BASE-X depending on the SFP connected -
untested because the I2C pull-ups on the Macchiatobin boards I have
are way too strong and it results in SFP EEPROM corruption and/or
failure to read the EEPROM.

> I also like the idea of having a way to express the "preferred" media,
> although I wonder if that's something we want to include in DT or that
> we would want to tweak at runtime, through ethtool for example.

I think preferred media should be configurable through ethtool -
which is preferred will be specific to the user's application.
However, there may be scope for DT to be able to specify the default
preferred media.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!