next/master bisection: baseline.dmesg.emerg on meson-gxbb-p200

Marc Zyngier maz at kernel.org
Thu Nov 19 06:33:06 EST 2020

On 2020-11-19 10:26, Neil Armstrong wrote:
> On 19/11/2020 11:20, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>> On 2020-11-19 08:50, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
>>> Please see the automated bisection report below about some kernel
>>> errors on meson-gxbb-p200.
>>>
>>> Reports aren't automatically sent to the public while we're
>>> trialing new bisection features on kernelci.org, however this one
>>> looks valid.
>>>
>>> The bisection started with next-20201118 but the errors are still
>>> present in next-20201119.  Details for this regression:
>>>
>>>   https://kernelci.org/test/case/id/5fb6196bfd0127fd68d8d902/
>>>
>>> The first error is:
>>>
>>>   [   14.757489] Internal error: synchronous external abort: 96000210
>>> [#1] PREEMPT SMP
>>
>> Looks like yet another clock ordering setup. I guess different Amlogic
>> platforms have slightly different ordering requirements.
>>
>> Neil, do you have any idea of which platform requires which ordering?
>> The variability in DT and platforms is pretty difficult to follow (and
>> I don't think I have such board around).
>
> The requirements should be the same, here the init was done before
> calling
> dw_hdmi_probe to be sure the clocks and internals resets were
> deasserted.
> But since you boot from u-boot already enabling these, it's already
> active.

The crashing platform also boots with u-boot. What is the difference?
No HDMI support?

> The solution would be to revert and do some check in
> meson_dw_hdmi_init() to
> check if already enabled and do nothing.

It looks more subtle than that, as it also depends on which DT is
provided
(an early meson_dw_hdmi_init() works with the kernel DT, and breaks with
the
u-boot DT). So whatever difference is between the two DTs causes havoc.
u-boot obviously only uses its own DT, so we are looking at a kernel bug
here.

Not having this patch also breaks module reinsertion (HDMI clocks are
disabled
on unbind), so *something* has to be done late.

So here are my questions:
- What breaks in my config when I boot using u-boot's DT?
- How to detect early that the registers are clocked or not?

Thanks,

         M.