[PATCH v5 00/13] Add support for PinePhone LCD panel
megous at megous.com
Thu Jun 25 20:55:48 EDT 2020
This patchset adds support for the LCD panel of PinePhone.
I've tested this on PinePhone 1.0 and 1.2.
Please take a look.
thank you and regards,
Changes in v5:
- rewritten on top of rocktech-jh057n00900 driver
- rocktech-jh057n00900 renamed to st7703 (controller name)
- converted rocktech-jh057n00900 bindings to yaml and extended for xbd599
Changes in v4:
- use ->type from the mode instead of hardcoding (Samuel)
- move init_sequence to ->prepare (Samuel)
- move anti-flicker delay to ->enable, explain it (Samuel)
- add enter_sleep after display_off (Samuel)
- drop ->disable (move code to ->unprepare)
- add ID bytes dumping (Linus)
(I can't test it since allwinner DSI driver has a broken
dcs_read function, and I didn't manage to fix it.)
- document magic bytes (Linus)
- assert reset during powerup
- cleanup powerup timings according to the datasheet
Changes in v3:
- Panel driver renamed to the name of the LCD controller
- Re-organize the driver slightly to more easily support more panels
based on the same controller.
- Add patch to enable the touchscreen to complete the LCD support
- Dropped the "DSI fix" patch (the driver seems to work for me without it)
- Improved brightness levels handling:
- PinePhone 1.0 uses default levels generated by the driver
- On PinePhone 1.1 duty cycles < 20% lead to black screen, so
default levels can't be used. Martijn Braam came up with a
list of duty cycle values that lead to perception of linear
brigtness level <-> light intensity on PinePhone 1.1
- There was some feedback on v2 about this being similar to st7701.
It's only similar in name. Most of the "user commands" are different,
so I opted to keep this in a new driver instead of creating st770x.
Anyone who likes to check the differences, here are datasheets:
Changes in v2:
- DT Example fix.
- DT Format fix.
- Raised copyright info to 2020.
- Sort panel operation functions.
- Sort inclusion.
-- For phone owners: --
There's an open question on how to set the backlight brightness values
on post 1.0 revision phone, since lower duty cycles (< 10-20%) lead
to backlight being black. It would be nice if more people can test
the various backlight levels on 1.1 and 1.2 revision with this change
brightness-levels = <0 1000>;
num-interpolated-steps = <1000>;
and report at what brightness level the backlight turns on. So far it
seems this has a wide range. Lowest useable duty cycle for me is ~7%
on 1.2 and for Martijn ~20% on 1.1.
Icenowy Zheng (2):
dt-bindings: vendor-prefixes: Add Xingbangda
arm64: dts: sun50i-a64-pinephone: Enable LCD support on PinePhone
Ondrej Jirman (11):
dt-bindings: panel: Convert rocktech,jh057n00900 to yaml
dt-bindings: panel: Add compatible for Xingbangda XBD599 panel
drm/panel: rocktech-jh057n00900: Rename the driver to st7703
drm/panel: st7703: Rename functions from jh057n prefix to st7703
drm/panel: st7703: Prepare for supporting multiple panels
drm/panel: st7703: Move code specific to jh057n closer together
drm/panel: st7703: Move generic part of init sequence to enable
drm/panel: st7703: Add support for Xingbangda XBD599
drm/panel: st7703: Enter sleep after display off
drm/panel: st7703: Assert reset prior to powering down the regulators
arm64: dts: sun50i-a64-pinephone: Add touchscreen support
.../display/panel/rocktech,jh057n00900.txt | 23 -
.../display/panel/rocktech,jh057n00900.yaml | 70 ++
.../devicetree/bindings/vendor-prefixes.yaml | 2 +
.../allwinner/sun50i-a64-pinephone-1.1.dts | 19 +
.../dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-pinephone.dtsi | 54 ++
drivers/gpu/drm/panel/Kconfig | 26 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/panel/Makefile | 2 +-
.../drm/panel/panel-rocktech-jh057n00900.c | 424 ------------
drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-sitronix-st7703.c | 655 ++++++++++++++++++
9 files changed, 814 insertions(+), 461 deletions(-)
delete mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/panel/rocktech,jh057n00900.txt
create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/panel/rocktech,jh057n00900.yaml
delete mode 100644 drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-rocktech-jh057n00900.c
create mode 100644 drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-sitronix-st7703.c
More information about the linux-arm-kernel