[PATCH v10 00/17] mtd: spi-nor: add xSPI Octal DTR support
p.yadav at ti.com
Tue Jun 23 14:30:13 EDT 2020
This series adds support for octal DTR flashes in the spi-nor framework,
and then adds hooks for the Cypress Semper and Mircom Xcella flashes to
allow running them in octal DTR mode. This series assumes that the flash
is handed to the kernel in Legacy SPI mode.
Tested on TI J721e EVM with 1-bit ECC on the Cypress flash.
Changes in v10:
- Rebase on latest linux-next/master. Drop a couple patches that made it
in the previous release.
- Move the code that sets 20 dummy cycles for MT35XU512ABA to its octal
enable function. This way, if the controller doesn't support 8D mode
20 dummy cycles won't be used.
Changes in v9:
- Do not use '& 0xff' to get the opcode LSB in spi-mxic and
spi-zynq-qspi. The cast to u8 will do that anyway.
- Do not use if (opcode) as a check for whether the command phase exists
in spi-zynq-qspi because the opcode 0 can be valid. Use the new
Changes in v8:
- Move controller changes in spi-mxic to the commit which introduces
2-byte opcodes to avoid problems when bisecting.
- Replace usage of sizeof(op->cmd.opcode) with op->cmd.nbytes.
- Extract opcode in spi-zynq-qspi instead of using &op->cmd.opcode.
Changes in v7:
- Reject ops with more than 1 command byte in
- Reject ops with more than 1 command byte in atmel and mtk controllers.
- Reject ops with 0 command bytes in spi_mem_check_op().
- Set cmd.nbytes to 1 when using SPI_MEM_OP_CMD().
- Avoid endianness problems in spi-mxic.
Changes in v6:
- Instead of hard-coding 8D-8D-8D Fast Read dummy cycles to 20, find
them out from the Profile 1.0 table.
Changes in v5:
- Do not enable stateful X-X-X modes if the reset line is broken.
- Instead of setting SNOR_READ_HWCAPS_8_8_8_DTR from Profile 1.0 table
parsing, do it in spi_nor_info_init_params() instead based on the
SPI_NOR_OCTAL_DTR_READ flag instead.
- Set SNOR_HWCAPS_PP_8_8_8_DTR in s28hs post_sfdp hook since this
capability is no longer set in Profile 1.0 parsing.
- Instead of just checking for spi_nor_get_protocol_width() in
spi_nor_octal_dtr_enable(), make sure the protocol is
SNOR_PROTO_8_8_8_DTR since get_protocol_width() only cares about data
- Drop flag SPI_NOR_SOFT_RESET. Instead, discover soft reset capability
- Do not make an invalid Quad Enable BFPT field a fatal error. Silently
ignore it by assuming no quad enable bit is present.
- Set dummy cycles for Cypress Semper flash to 24 instead of 20. This
allows for 200MHz operation in 8D mode compared to the 166MHz with 20.
- Rename spi_nor_cypress_octal_enable() to
- Update spi-mtk-nor.c to reject DTR ops since it doesn't call
Changes in v4:
- Refactor the series to use the new spi-nor framework with the
manufacturer-specific bits separated from the core.
- Add support for Micron MT35XU512ABA.
- Use cmd.nbytes as the criteria of whether the data phase exists or not
instead of cmd.buf.in || cmd.buf.out in spi_nor_spimem_setup_op().
- Update Read FSR to use the same dummy cycles and address width as Read
- Fix BFPT parsing stopping too early for JESD216 rev B flashes.
- Use 2 byte reads for Read SR and FSR commands in DTR mode.
Changes in v3:
- Drop the DT properties "spi-rx-dtr" and "spi-tx-dtr". Instead, if
later a need is felt to disable DTR in case someone has a board with
Octal DTR capable flash but does not support DTR transactions for some
reason, a property like "spi-no-dtr" can be added.
- Remove mode bits SPI_RX_DTR and SPI_TX_DTR.
- Remove the Cadence Quadspi controller patch to un-block this series. I
will submit it as a separate patch.
- Rebase on latest 'master' and fix merge conflicts.
- Update read and write dirmap templates to use DTR.
- Rename 'is_dtr' to 'dtr'.
- Make 'dtr' a bitfield.
- Reject DTR ops in spi_mem_default_supports_op().
- Update atmel-quadspi to reject DTR ops. All other controller drivers
call spi_mem_default_supports_op() so they will automatically reject
- Add support for both enabling and disabling DTR modes.
- Perform a Software Reset on flashes that support it when shutting
- Disable Octal DTR mode on suspend, and re-enable it on resume.
- Drop enum 'spi_mem_cmd_ext' and make command opcode u16 instead.
Update spi-nor to use the 2-byte command instead of the command
extension. Since we still need a "extension type", mode that enum to
spi-nor and name it 'spi_nor_cmd_ext'.
- Default variable address width to 3 to fix SMPT parsing.
- Drop non-volatile change to uniform sector mode and rely on parsing
Changes in v2:
- Add DT properties "spi-rx-dtr" and "spi-tx-dtr" to allow expressing
- Set the mode bits SPI_RX_DTR and SPI_TX_DTR when we discover the DT
properties "spi-rx-dtr" and spi-tx-dtr".
- spi_nor_cypress_octal_enable() was updating nor->params.read with
the intention of setting the correct number of dummy cycles. But this
function is called _after_ selecting the read so setting
nor->params.read will have no effect. So, update nor->read_dummy
- Fix spi_nor_spimem_check_readop() and spi_nor_spimem_check_pp()
passing nor->read_proto and nor->write_proto to
spi_nor_spimem_setup_op() instead of read->proto and pp->proto
- Move the call to cqspi_setup_opcode_ext() inside cqspi_enable_dtr().
This avoids repeating the 'if (f_pdata->is_dtr)
cqspi_setup_opcode_ext()...` snippet multiple times.
- Call the default 'supports_op()' from cqspi_supports_mem_op(). This
makes sure the buswidth requirements are also enforced along with the
- Drop the 'is_dtr' argument from spi_check_dtr_req(). We only call it
when a phase is DTR so it is redundant.
Pratyush Yadav (17):
spi: spi-mem: allow specifying whether an op is DTR or not
spi: spi-mem: allow specifying a command's extension
spi: atmel-quadspi: reject DTR ops
spi: spi-mtk-nor: reject DTR ops
mtd: spi-nor: add support for DTR protocol
mtd: spi-nor: sfdp: get command opcode extension type from BFPT
mtd: spi-nor: sfdp: parse xSPI Profile 1.0 table
mtd: spi-nor: core: use dummy cycle and address width info from SFDP
mtd: spi-nor: core: do 2 byte reads for SR and FSR in DTR mode
mtd: spi-nor: core: enable octal DTR mode when possible
mtd: spi-nor: sfdp: do not make invalid quad enable fatal
mtd: spi-nor: sfdp: detect Soft Reset sequence support from BFPT
mtd: spi-nor: core: perform a Soft Reset on shutdown
mtd: spi-nor: core: disable Octal DTR mode on suspend.
mtd: spi-nor: core: expose spi_nor_default_setup() in core.h
mtd: spi-nor: spansion: add support for Cypress Semper flash
mtd: spi-nor: micron-st: allow using MT35XU512ABA in Octal DTR mode
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/core.c | 446 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/core.h | 22 ++
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/micron-st.c | 103 +++++++-
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/sfdp.c | 131 +++++++++-
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/sfdp.h | 8 +
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/spansion.c | 166 ++++++++++++
drivers/spi/atmel-quadspi.c | 6 +
drivers/spi/spi-mem.c | 16 +-
drivers/spi/spi-mtk-nor.c | 10 +-
drivers/spi/spi-mxic.c | 3 +-
drivers/spi/spi-zynq-qspi.c | 11 +-
include/linux/mtd/spi-nor.h | 53 +++-
include/linux/spi/spi-mem.h | 14 +-
13 files changed, 889 insertions(+), 100 deletions(-)
More information about the linux-arm-kernel