[CFT 0/8] rework phylink interface for split MAC/PCS support

Vladimir Oltean olteanv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:37:43 EDT 2020

Hi Russell,

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 17:34, Russell King - ARM Linux admin
<linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

> All,
>
> This is now almost four months old, but I see that I didn't copy the
> message to everyone who should've been, especially for the five
> remaining drivers.
>
> I had asked for input from maintainers to help me convert their
> phylink-using drivers to the new style where mac_link_up() performs
> the speed, duplex and pause setup rather than mac_config(). So far,
> I have had very little assistance with this, and it is now standing
> in the way of further changes to phylink, particularly with proper
> PCS support. You are effectively blocking this work; I can't break
> your code as that will cause a kernel regression.
>
> This is one of the reasons why there were not many phylink patches
> merged for the last merge window.
>
> The following drivers in current net-next remain unconverted:
>
> drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.c
> drivers/net/dsa/ocelot/felix.c
> drivers/net/dsa/qca/ar9331.c
> drivers/net/dsa/bcm_sf2.c
> drivers/net/dsa/b53/b53_common.c
>
> These can be easily identified by grepping for conditionals where the
> expression matches the "MLO_PAUSE_.X" regexp.
>
> I have an untested patch that I will be sending out today for
> mtk_eth_soc.c, but the four DSA ones definitely require their authors
> or maintainers to either make the changes, or assist with that since
> their code is not straight forward.
>
> Essentially, if you are listed in this email's To: header, then you
> are listed as a maintainer for one of the affected drivers, and I am
> requesting assistance from you for this task please.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Russell.

If forcing MAC speed is to be moved in mac_link_up(), and if (as you
requested in the mdio-lynx-pcs thread) configuring the PCS is to be
moved in pcs_link_up() and pcs_config() respectively, then what
remains to be done in mac_config()?

Regards,
-Vladimir