[RFC 0/2] iommu: arm-smmu: Add support for early direct mappings

Bjorn Andersson bjorn.andersson at linaro.org
Wed Jul 1 03:40:50 EDT 2020

On Wed 03 Jun 04:00 PDT 2020, Robin Murphy wrote:

> On 2020-06-02 07:32, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> > On Wed 27 May 04:03 PDT 2020, Will Deacon wrote:
> >
> > > Hi John, Bjorn,

> > > Sorry, it's been insanely busy recently and I haven't had a chance to think
> > > about this on top of everything else. We're also carrying a hack in Android
> > > for you :)
> > >

> > Thanks for taking the time to get back to us on this!

> > > I've had a chat with Robin about this. Originally, I was hoping that
> > > people would all work together towards an idyllic future where firmware
> > > would be able to describe arbitrary pre-existing mappings for devices,
> > > irrespective of the IOMMU through which they master and Linux could
> > > inherit this configuration. However, that hasn't materialised (there was
> > > supposed to be an IORT update, but I don't know what happened to that)
> > > and, in actual fact, the problem that you have on db845 is /far/ more
> > > restricted than the general problem.
> > >
> > > Could you please try hacking something along the following lines and see
> > > how you get on? You may need my for-joerg/arm-smmu/updates branch for
> > > all the pieces:
> > >
> > >    1. Use the ->cfg_probe() callback to reserve the SMR/S2CRs you need
> > >       "pinning" and configure for bypass.
> > >
> > >    2. Use the ->def_domain_type() callback to return IOMMU_DOMAIN_IDENTITY
> > >       for the display controller
> > >
> > > I /think/ that's sufficient, but note that it differs from the current
> > > approach because we don't end up reserving a CB -- bypass is configured
> > > in the S2CR instead. Some invalidation might therefore be needed in
> > > ->cfg_probe() after unhooking the CB.
> > >
> > > Thanks, and please yell if you run into problems with this approach.
> > >

> > This sounded straight forward and cleaner, so I implemented it...
> >
> > Unfortunately the hypervisor is playing tricks on me when writing to
> > S2CR registers:
> > - TRANS writes lands as requested
> > - BYPASS writes ends up in the register as requested, with type FAULT
> > - FAULT writes are ignored
> >
> > In other words, the Qualcomm firmware prevents us from relying on
> > marking the relevant streams as BYPASS type.
>
> Sigh...

I agree.

> at that point I'm inclined to suggest we give up and stop trying to
> drive these things with arm-smmu. The XZR thing was bad enough, but if
> they're not even going to pretend to implement the architecture correctly
> then I'm not massively keen to continue tying the architectural driver in
> further knots if innocent things like CONFIG_IOMMU_DEFAULT_PASSTHROUGH are
> going to unexpectedly and catastrophically fail. We have qcom-iommu for
> hypervisor-mediated SMMUs, and this new hypervisor behaviour sounds to me
> more like "qcom-iommu++" with reassignable stream-to-context mappings,
> rather than a proper Arm SMMU emulation.

I've been going through over and over, hoping to perhaps be able to
evolve qcom_iommu into a qcom-iommu++, but afaict the new hypervisor is
different enough that this isn't feasible. In particular, the platforms
using qcom_iommu relies entirely on the hypervisor to configure stream
mapping etc - and we can't even read most of the registers.

On the other hand I agree with you that we're messing around quite a bit
with the arm-smmu driver, and I'm uncertain where we are on supporting
the various GPU features, so I'm adding Jordan to the thread.

So, afaict we have the options of either shoehorning this too into the
arm-smmu driver or we essentially fork arm-smmu.c to create a
qcom-smmu.c.

While I don't fancy the code duplication, it would allow us to revert
the Qualcomm quirks from arm-smmu and would unblock a number of
activities that we have depending on getting the SMMU enabled on various
platforms.

NB. As mentioned briefly before, "this" means: for a given compatible,
search SMR for a specific stream mapping and ensure it remains after
initialization and make sure the associated context bank is "allocated".

> > Instead Qualcomm seems to implement "bypass" by setting up stream
> > mapping, of TRANS type, pointing to a context bank without
> > ARM_SMMU_SCTLR_M set.
>
> ...which arm-smmu specifically does not do because it's a silly waste of
> resources - typically context banks are even scarcer than S2CRs.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Bjorn