Writing a robust core-dump handling script (wrt PID namespaces)

Marc Gonzalez marc.w.gonzalez at free.fr
Thu Jan 16 05:39:09 PST 2020

Hello,

I'm trying to write a robust core-dump handling script -- which eventually
sends minidumps remotely for analysis, like Mozilla Socorro[1] but for any
crashing process in the system.

I read 'man 5 core' several times, but I'm confused about "PID namespaces".

           %p  PID of dumped process, as seen in the PID namespace in which
               the process resides
           %P  PID of dumped process, as seen in the initial PID namespace
               (since Linux 3.12)

For now, I've set up :

    echo 5 > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pipe_limit
    echo "|/usr/sbin/coredump %P" > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

I used %P but I'm not sure why.
(I used 5 somewhat at random too.)

The coredump script is supposed to access /proc/$PID

Should I use %P or %p or something else?

For my own reference:
commit 65aafb1e7484b7434a0c1d4c593191ebe5776a2f

Regards.

[1] https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/
[2] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/core.5.html