[RFC] ARM: add bcm2711_defconfig

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 10:28:01 PST 2020

On 1/7/20 10:11 AM, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-01-07 at 19:06 +0100, Stefan Wahren wrote:
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> Am 07.01.20 um 18:24 schrieb Nicolas Saenz Julienne:
>>> The Raspberry Pi 4 depends on LPAE in order to use its PCIe port, which
>>> is essential, as it ultimately provides USB2/3 connectivity. As this
>>> setup doesn't fit any generic purpose configuration this adds
>>> bcm2711_defconfig which is based on the current Raspberry Pi foundation
>>> config file[1] with as little changes as possible
>>
>> i really dislike the Foundation config file, because it contains so many
>> unnecessary features. Bisecting with such a kernel config is horrible.
>>
>> How about finding a compromise between bcm2835_defconfig and
>> multi_v7_defconfig + LPAE?
>
> If there is a consensus this is the right approach (creating a new config
> file), I'll be happy to try that out.
>
> Now that I think of it, maybe we shouldn't add bcm2711_thermal into
> multi_v7_defconfig.

It there a mechanism that can be used such that bcm2711_defconfig would
be simply a fragment that enables CONFIG_ARM_LPAE=y (and other relevant
2711 only options) and that you could easily run/test with, something like:

ARCH=arm make bcm2835_defconfig+bcm2711_defconfig

or something along those lines?
--
Florian