[RFC] net: stmmac: Problem with adding the native GPIOs support

Serge Semin Sergey.Semin at baikalelectronics.ru
Tue Dec 15 03:10:50 EST 2020

Hello Alexandre,

Thanks for the response. My comments are below.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 11:52:14AM +0100, Alexandre Torgue wrote:
> Hi Serge,
>

> Sorry I never used GPIO provided by DWMAC IP. Obviously, I think is to late
> for you to use GPIOs provided by your SoC directly. Unfortunately, it seems
> to be a "perfect" chicken and eggs problem :(.

If you meant the problem that the PHY is getting reset together with
the MAC reset, then at some extent it's indeed the chicken-eggs
problem, but it affects the STMMAC driver only due to the
stmmac_reset() procedure implementation (it waits for the SWR flag
being cleared right in the same method, but the flag won't be cleared
until all the clocks are ready, which isn't possible until PHY reset
isn't cleared, so it causes the DMA-reset timeout). The solution of
that is simple. If we first performed the reset procedure, then
initialized/attached the PHY and after that would have made sure the
DMA_BUS_MODE.SFT_RESET flag was cleared, then the problem wouldn't be
even noticeable. But still that would have solved just a part of the
problem. The driver would still perform the MAC reset in the PM
resume() callback, which in my case will automatically reset the PHY,
while the PHY subsystem doesn't expect that.

So in order to make the driver properly working for any situation we
either need to take the possible PHY reset into account in both open()
and PM-resume() callbacks, or get rid of the reset completely there.

The perfect solution would be not to reset the MAC all the time on the
network device open and resume procedures. In that case we could have
reset the controller in the stmmac_dvr_probe() just once, then
register the GPIO interface and use it for the MDIO-bus, whatever with
no problems. What do you think of that? Is that even possible seeing,
for example, AMD xGBE driver doesn't reset the MAC on network dev
open?  Yeah, the GMAC manual states, that the DMA initialization needs
to start with the GMAC reset, but in fact do we really need to do that
all the time on the device open/resume? Wouldn't that be enough to
reset the device just on probe?

> Do you have possibilty to "play" with gpio setting. I mean change
> configuration of them (at least for reset one) before perform a DMA reset:
> If you have a pull-up on RST line and you could "disconnect" GPO inside GMAC
> then your PHY should remain on during DMA reset phase.

Alas no. It is impossible to do anything with hardware now. We need to
deal with what we currently have. The GPO lane is externally
pulled-down to GND on all the Baikal-T1 SoC-based hardware and these
are not a single type of device, but multiple of them, which have been
produced for more than three years now. We also can't somehow
detach/disconnect GPO inside the GMAC or somehow else, because the SoC
has already been synthesized with no such feature. So when the GPIO
register is reset or the GPIO.GPO field is cleared PHY gets to be in
reset state, and it concerns all the devices.(

-Sergey