Flushing transparent hugepages

Will Deacon will at kernel.org
Tue Aug 18 12:08:16 EDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 04:07:36PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> For example, arm64 seems confused in this scenario:
>
> void flush_dcache_page(struct page *page)
> {
>         if (test_bit(PG_dcache_clean, &page->flags))
>                 clear_bit(PG_dcache_clean, &page->flags);
> }

> void __sync_icache_dcache(pte_t pte)
> {
>         struct page *page = pte_page(pte);
>
>         if (!test_and_set_bit(PG_dcache_clean, &page->flags))
>                 sync_icache_aliases(page_address(page), page_size(page));
> }
>
> So arm64 keeps track on a per-page basis which ones have been flushed.
> page_size() will return PAGE_SIZE if called on a tail page or regular
> page, but will return PAGE_SIZE << compound_order if called on a head
> page.  So this will either over-flush, or it's missing the opportunity
> to clear the bits on all the subpages which have now been flushed.

Hmm, that seems to go all the way back to 2014 as the result of a bug fix
in 923b8f5044da ("arm64: mm: Make icache synchronisation logic huge page
aware") which has a Reported-by Mark and a CC stable, suggesting something
_was_ going wrong at the time :/ Was there a point where the tail pages
could end up with PG_arch_1 uncleared on allocation?

> What would you _like_ to see?  Would you rather flush_dcache_page()
> were called once for each subpage, or would you rather maintain
> the page-needs-flushing state once per compound page?  We could also
> introduce flush_dcache_thp() if some architectures would prefer it one
> way and one the other, although that brings into question what to do
> for hugetlbfs pages.

For arm64, we'd like to see PG_arch_1 preserved during huge page splitting
[1], but there was a worry that it might break x86 and s390. It's also not
clear to me that we can change __sync_icache_dcache() as it's called when
we're installing the entry in the page-table, so why would it be called
again for the tail pages?

Will

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arch/20200703153718.16973-8-catalin.marinas@arm.com/