[GIT PULL 0/5] ARM: SoC: changes for v5.9

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Wed Aug 5 15:32:33 EDT 2020

On Wed 2020-08-05 21:06:45, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 7:27 PM Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:
> > > 2. In the past few merge windows we have seen an increase in (usually
> > >    older) Android phones and tablets gaining mainline kernel support.
> > >    This time we get a total of eight Snapdragon phones and two Tegra
> > >    tablets. To me this indicates that we finally have sufficient driver
> > >    support, in particular on the GPU side, to make this workable.
> > >    It also shows the impact that a single hobbyist developer can have,
> > >    as most of the new support was submitted by Konrad Dybcio who only
> > >    started contributing kernel patches to mainline Linux for postmarketos
> > >    earlier this year.
> >
> > I'm happy to see that. So far, Nokia N900 is reaonably supported (basically everything
> > but Bluetooth works, voicecalls miss userland daemon for audio), and Motorola
> > Droid 4 (modem needs some more in kernel, camera will be hard).
> >
> > Is there anything with similar support coming in, or is it usual "it boots,
> > serial console works"?
>
> My impression is that the newly added phones are still fairly rudimentary,
> but some others that were added in the past releases have gotten
> further. I don't know any details, but I've added Konrad to Cc, he can
> comment on his work.
>
> One of the missing pieces with the OMAP based phones has always
> been the GPU, and on that front I think by now almost every other GPU
> is ahead.

I have working 3D on Droid 4 with Maemo Leste... but I'm not sure what
kind of hacks are involved. (And not sure I want to know).

> > Should we have some kind of linux-phones mailing list? There is quite a lot of
> > stuff common in phones.
>
> PostmarketOS is probably the right place to look for this.

Yes, I monitor postmarketOS a bit.

But I believe we should have something cross-distro. I'm more involved
with Maemo Leste, but there are other players -- at least Librem and
Jolla.

Best regards,
									Pavel