[GIT PULL 0/5] ARM: SoC: changes for v5.9

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Aug 3 17:34:31 EDT 2020

There is much of the usual this time, but there are also three parts
I find worth pointing out in particular:

1. We tend to add support for new SoCs every merge window, but
   usually these are all variations of those we already support.
   This time there are three newly added families of Arm SoCs:

   - Intel/Movidius Keem Bay
   - Microchip SparX5
   - Mediatek (Mstar) Infinity3/Mercury5

   There is a separate pull request for these three that has
   additional details.

2. In the past few merge windows we have seen an increase in (usually
   older) Android phones and tablets gaining mainline kernel support.
   This time we get a total of eight Snapdragon phones and two Tegra
   tablets. To me this indicates that we finally have sufficient driver
   support, in particular on the GPU side, to make this workable.
   It also shows the impact that a single hobbyist developer can have,
   as most of the new support was submitted by Konrad Dybcio who only
   started contributing kernel patches to mainline Linux for postmarketos
   earlier this year.

3. The memory controller subsystem in drivers/memory used to be handled
   mostly by having patches through the soc tree, but without proper
   review from someone who understands the details of memory
   controllers. Krzysztof Kozlowski has now taken over maintainership
   and sent a good set of drivers cleanups that are part of the
   soc drivers branch.

Overall we have a total of 864 non-merge changesets from 164 authors,
with most changes coming from these developers:

     90 Thierry Reding (Tegra)
     58 Krzysztof Kozlowski (drivers/memory, Samsung Exynos)
     39 Lad Prabhakar (Renesas)
     33 Konrad Dybcio (Snapdragon based phones)
     25 Daniel Palmer (Mstar SoC)
     22 Marian-Cristian Rotariu (Renesas)
     18 Benjamin Gaignard (STM32)
     15 Suman Anna (TI OMAP)
     15 Sudeep Holla (SCMI, soc-device)
     15 Peng Fan (i.MX8)
     14 Maxime Ripard (sunxi)
     14 Geert Uytterhoeven (Renesas)
     14 Anson Huang (i.MX)
     13 Lubomir Rintel (MMP2/3)
     13 Cristian Marussi (SCMI)
     12 Rajendra Nayak (Snapdragon)
     12 Bjorn Andersson (Snapdragon)
     11 Martin Blumenstingl (Meson)
     11 Jagan Teki (Rockchip)
     10 Grygorii Strashko (TI K3)
     10 Erwan Le Ray (STM32)
     10 Douglas Anderson (Snapdragon)
     10 Alexander A. Klimov (sed -i 's/http/https/g')

The overall dirstat shows most of the changes as usual being for
devicetree files, again split roughly 50:50 between 32-bit and
64-bit. Other changes are a Tegra driver update from Thierry,
and some owrk on the scmi firmware code.

   0.5% Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/
   0.4% Documentation/devicetree/bindings/reset/
   0.2% Documentation/devicetree/bindings/soc/qcom/
   0.3% Documentation/devicetree/bindings/soc/ti/
   0.3% Documentation/devicetree/bindings/
  36.1% arch/arm/boot/dts/
   0.2% arch/arm/mach-mstar/
   1.2% arch/arm/mach-omap2/