Unstable Kernel behavior on an ARM based board

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Sat Mar 2 03:01:12 PST 2019

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 03:44:49PM +0500, Embedded Engineer wrote:
> We have designed a custom board based on an ARM based SoC (Nvidia
> TK1). Much of the board design is derived from reference kit (Jetson
> TK1). But on our board, we are facing quite an unstable behavior of
> Kernel (v 3.10.40 downstream).
          ^^^^^^^^^

So not only this kernel is from a branch that went end of life more than
a year ago, but within this now unmaintained branch, your version is
affected by more than 4000 bugs which were fixed before the branch was
dropped :

  $ git log --oneline v3.10.40..v3.10.108 | wc -l
  4044

So there is no hope that anyone will be willing to review each of them
and try to guess which ones might be responsible for the problem you're
experiencing, the first thing to do is to switch to an up to date kernel
which is not affected by many known bugs like this. Branches 4.4, 4.9,
4.14 and 4.19 are long term supported, so it will be a good investment
to rebase your possible code onto one of these kernels, you'll get fixes
for free for many years.

Willy