SPI driver issue

Sergey Suloev ssuloev at orpaltech.com
Sat Mar 17 03:49:12 PDT 2018

Hi guys,

I have recently found a critical issue with sun6i SPI driver. It was
actually found long time ago while using spidev but I didn't considered
it as something important. Now it seems like a blocking issue that
prevents using the driver in any serious application.
I have created a DRM driver for a ili9488-based display, its source is
available here [1] and device tree overlay [2]. The driver has been
successfully verified on RPi3, but  it is failing on sunxi: the driver
gets loaded, display seems working but SPI transfers are periodically
failing with error -110 (timeout). Due to the issue the picture is
frozen and completely refreshed again from time to time.

The problem is reproduced on OrangePi PC and BananaPi M2. I am providing
dmesg from my OrangePi PC [3].

Let know if you need any additional info.

Thanks

[1] https://github.com/sergey-suloev/tinydrm/blob/master/ili9488.c

[2]
https://github.com/sergey-suloev/tinydrm/blob/master/overlays/sunxi/mainline/sun8i-h3-ertft0356-drm.dts