arm64 kvm built with clang doesn't boot

Ard Biesheuvel ard.biesheuvel at linaro.org
Sat Mar 17 03:19:12 PDT 2018

(+ Thomas)

On 16 March 2018 at 17:13, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 04:52:08PM +0000, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
>> + Sami (Google), Takahiro (Linaro)
>>
>> Just so I fully understand the problem enough to articulate it, we'd be
>> looking for the compiler to keep the jump tables for speed (I would guess
>> -fno-jump-tables would emit an if-else chain) but only emit relative jumps
>> (not absolute jumps)?
>
> Our main concern is that there is no absolute addressing. If that rules
> out using a relative jump table, that's ok.
>
> We want to avoid the fragility of collecting -f-no-* options as future
> compiler transformations end up introducing absolute addressing.

This all comes back to the assumptions made by the compiler when
building PIC/PIE code, i.e., that symbols should be preemptible and
thus all references should be indirected via GOT entries, and that
text relocations should be avoided.

If we had a way to tell the compiler that these concerns do not apply
for us, we could use -fpic/-fpie in the kernel and be done with it.
-fvisibility=hidden *almost* gives us what we need, but in practice,
only the #pragma variant (#pragma GCC visibility push (hidden)) makes
-fpic behave in a sensible way for freestanding builds, and gets rid
of absolute references where possible (note that statically
initialized pointer variables always involve absolute relocations)