RFC on Kdump and PCIe on ARM64

Baoquan He bhe at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 17:44:02 PST 2018

On 03/01/18 at 01:05pm, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> [+cc Joerg, David, iommu list]
>
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 12:44:26PM -0500, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are seeing IOMMU faults when booting the kdump kernel on ARM64.
> >
> > [    7.220162] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.0.auto: event 0x02 received:
> > [    7.226123] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.0.auto:            0x0000010000000002
> > [    7.232023] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.0.auto:            0x0000000000000000
> > [    7.237925] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.0.auto:            0x0000000000000000
> > [    7.243827] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.0.auto:            0x0000000000000000
> >
> > This is Nate's interpretation of the fault:
> >
> > "The PCI device is sending transactions just after the SMMU was
> > reset/reinitialized which is problematic because the device has not
> > yet been added to the SMMU and thus should not be doing *any* DMA.
> > DMA from the PCI devices should be quiesced prior to starting the
> > crashdump kernel or you risk overwriting portions of memory you
> > meant to preserve. In this case the SMMU was actually doing you a
> > favor by blocking these errant DMA operations!!"

This seems an known issue which existed on x86 arch with intel vt-d
or amd-vi iommu deployed. Both of them have been fixed on x86. The root
cause is that kexec/kdump jumping is a warm reboot, it skips
bios/firmware. That left behind on-flight DMA which is started in 1st
kernel, and on-going during kdump kernel bootup. Then iommu devices
init will cause the on-flight DMA being stray and access those memory
region violently until pci devices initialization.

On x86, for intel vt-d iommu, patches and discussion can be found here:
https://lists.onap.org/pipermail/iommu/2015-May/012948.html

Finally, Joerg made a formal fix to make it.

On amd-iommu, I made a patchset with Joerg's help.

http://linux.kernel.narkive.com/Przi0Xaf/patch-v10-00-12-fix-the-on-flight-dma-issue-on-system-with-amd-iommu

On arm64, not sure how different the smmu is, you might need to do the
similar thing. Personal opinion, just for reference.

Thanks
Baoquan