[net-next: PATCH 0/8] Armada 7k/8k PP2 ACPI support

Mika Westerberg mika.westerberg at linux.intel.com
Sun Jan 21 02:27:00 PST 2018

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 02:08:40AM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with MDIO bus but an alternative to GeneriSerialBus
> > would be to follow what SDIO is doing, e.g have the PHY devices listed
> > below the MDIO controller and use _ADR to describe their "address" on
> > that bus. You can see how _ADR applies to SDIO bus from ACPI spec.
>
> Hi Mika
>
> SDIO is not a serial bus, well it can be in its simplest form, but
> high speed implementations have 4 data lines. So i can understand them
> not using GenericSerialBus.

Well, I think SDIO is more of a serial bus pretty much the same way than
SPI but it can support more data lines as needed (in the same way than
SPI). But I'm not an expert in SDIO.

However, that's not the point here :-) SATA (which is definitely a serial
bus) uses the same mechanism and not GenericSerialBus.

> MDIO is a serial bus, very similar to SPI, I2C, and UART.
>
> > If you go with the SDIO way then each PHY is described as normal ACPI
> > device and you can use ACPI _HID/_CID to match the device to the
> > corresponding driver.
>
> Just some background here. If you have a plain PHY as a device on an
> MDIO bus, you don't need to match it to a driver within ACPI.
> Registers 2 and 3 contain a vendor and product ID. That is what it
> used to match the device to the driver.
>
> What you might need to know is the protocol to talk on the bus. Most
> devices use clause 22 protocol. A few devices are clause 45. 22 is the
> default in Linux, and you need to indicate if 45 should be used. You
> can also indicate 22.
>
> It gets more complex when the device on the bus is not a PHY. It is a
> generic bus, you can connect anything to it. Ethernet switches can be
> on the bus. They generally cannot be identified using registers 2 and
> 3. So you do need to match the device to the driver. Most do have ID
> registers, so the driver can work out what specific device is on the
> bus. However, Marvell moved the ID registers on there newer generation
> of devices, so we need to give the driver a hint where to look. So in
> device tree, we have two different compatible string.
>
> Broadcom really do use it as a generic bus. They have their USB PHYs
> and PCIE PHYs on an MDIO bus. In DT, they have compatible strings to
> match the device to the driver, as normal.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

> We need to ensure what we define for ACPI has the same level of
> flexibility.

Right. So if you need to have some additional "parameters" with the
connection, then I suppose you may want to go with the GenericSerialBus
route. However, looking at the sample device tree description:

        davinci_mdio: ethernet at 5c030000 {
                compatible = "ti,davinci_mdio";
                reg = <0x5c030000 0x1000>;
                #address-cells = <1>;
                #size-cells = <0>;

                reset-gpios = <&gpio2 5 GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>;
                reset-delay-us = <2>;

                ethphy0: ethernet-phy at 1 {
                        reg = <1>;
                };

                ethphy1: ethernet-phy at 3 {
                        reg = <3>;
                };
        };

would pretty much translate directly to this in ACPI if you don't need
any additional attributes:

	Device (ETH0) {
		Name (_ADR, /* PCI address of the NIC */)

		Device (PHY0) {
			Name (_ADR, 1)
		}

		Device (PHY1) {
			Name (_ADR, 3)
		}
	}

which looks pretty simple to me. You can also use _DSM and _DSD here to
pass information (like the protocol number) for the PHY devices to Linux.