[net-next: PATCH 0/8] Armada 7k/8k PP2 ACPI support

Lorenzo Pieralisi lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com
Thu Jan 18 04:31:41 PST 2018

[+cc Mika]

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 02:00:12PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > > Maybe Lorenzo, Hanjun, Sudeep can comment here they might have come
> > > across similar on other ARM boards.
> > >

> > I'm looking forward to their feedback, however, what I've noticed,
> > each driver handles mdio/phys on its own, not using any generic
> > solution, which is what I need to actually avoid :)
>
> Agreed. Lets define it once for all drivers using phylib/phylink.

To start with, I am not entirely familiar with MDIO, apologies in
advance. Building something on top of GenericSerialBus sounds correct
but if I am not mistaken you would need a new bus type in the ACPI
specs.

I CC'ed Mika since he is more familiar with handling these bits of ACPI
specs - I wonder whether this is a problem that cropped up on x86
systems too.

I do not think there is one and only answer but there must be a single
set of bindings and if the ACPI specs already cater for some of them
we have to reuse them.

Please take some time to ensure the solution you are pushing is widely
deployable.

Thanks,
Lorenzo