[GIT PULL] TI DaVinci SoC updates for v4.16 (part 2)

Sekhar Nori nsekhar at ti.com
Mon Jan 15 23:40:37 PST 2018

On Friday 12 January 2018 11:44 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:47 PM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar at ti.com> wrote:
>> Hi Olof,
>> On Friday 12 January 2018 08:06 AM, David Lechner wrote:
>>> On 01/11/2018 07:36 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 04:55:05PM +0530, Sekhar Nori wrote:
>>>>> The following changes since commit
>>>>> 23bbeaef90ab7607d03428bbb708efe44f43c761:
>>>>>    ARM: davinci: constify gpio_led (2018-01-05 19:28:41 +0530)
>>>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nsekhar/linux-davinci.git
>>>>> tags/davinci-for-v4.16/soc-p2
>>>>> for you to fetch changes up to 0808d3260456aaba061fe06ead31d578c8bdc936:
>>>>>    ARM: davinci: remove watchdog reset (2018-01-10 14:38:07 +0530)
>>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> A patch to shift to using watchdog timer for DaVinci restart
>>>>> functionality.
>>>>> The driver support is present in linux-next as 71d1f058844d "watchdog:
>>>>> davinci_wdt: add restart function"
>>>> Hi,
>>>> So if this is merged before the driver is merged, what happens?
>>> Then reboot hangs.
>> Yes. I did request[1] an immutable branch with just the driver change
>> applied, but looks like the message was lost and the current driver
>> change is applied over many other watchdog changes.
>>>> Might
>>>> be better to hold off a release to avoid regressions?
>> The main reason I sent it out anyway is because this cleanup is a
>> dependency to move to common clock framework and I want to reduce those
>> to a minimum to have a good chance of migrating to it in v4.17.
>> If the watchdog driver change never makes it (very low chance), then I
>> can resend a revert for -rc2. If ARM-SoC is merged before watchdog, yes,
>> during a short while in merge window reboot will be broken. But I
>> figured its a risk worth taking to have a chance of getting this into v4.16.
>> If you have a "send these late" branch, it will be nice to put it in
>> there. If this is too much uncertainty, then okay, lets hold for v4.17.
> Keep in mind that while the tree might regress for a period of time,
> what's really awkward is that bisection will be hard across this,
> since for some states of the tree you will have the platform-side
> change but not the watchdog change. That's really one of the main
> reasons for having a stable branch that can be used as a base -- you
> can then not hit that case.
> One option is to make a base branch that contains this code that's
> used for the base of the CCF work that is based on 4.16-rc1 once it is
> out. What trees to do you expect to have CCF code going through? Clock
> and arm-soc, any others? If it's just those two we can deal with that,
> if it's more trees than that it might get complicated still.

I think it will just be clock and ARM-SoC trees. So, will take you
advise and postpone this to v4.17 then.


More information about the linux-arm-kernel mailing list