PM regression in next

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Jan 12 11:12:51 PST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:00:46AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:

> It's commit 3bb0f7c31b1a ("ASoC: don't use snd_soc_write/read
> on twl4030"). And that is for the PMIC on my test system, so
> adding Kuninori and Mark to the thread :)

> Kuninori, it seems that commit 3bb0f7c31b1a causes higher
> power consumption on an idle system on omap3 using twl4030.
> Reverting 3bb0f7c31b1a makes things behave again. My guess
> is that twl4030_read does not do the same as snd_soc_read
> in the driver?

As far as I can tell it should end up boiling down to the same thing but
I didn't follow through in detail, they should both bottom out in
twl_i2c_read_u8() if they hit hardware - all snd_soc_read() did was call
twl4030_read(), the patch just removes the indirection through assigning
the pointer.

Could you try deleting the attempt to read from the cache in
twl4030_read() and always go to hardware?