[v2,1/1] ARM: orion5x: use mac_pton() helper

Andy Shevchenko andriy.shevchenko at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 23 07:18:48 PST 2018

+Cc Alexey

On Fri, 2018-02-23 at 16:01 +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > > The patch has been corrupted by you email client. But otherwise,
> > > yes.
> > >
> > > Please take a look at:
> > >
> > > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.12/process/submitting-patches.h
> > > tml
> > >
> > > It will give you hits about correctly formatting the patch. In
> > > addition it should have:
> > >
> > > Fixes: 4cd5773a2ae6 ("net: core: move mac_pton() to
> > > lib/net_utils.c")
> > >
> > > before the --- line, to indicate what it is fixing.
> > >
> > > This patch should be against
> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git,
> > > since it is a fix, and sent to <netdev at vger.kernel.org>.
> >
> > Guys, consider this one instead:
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/851008/
>
> Hi Andy
>
> Thanks for pointing this patch out.
>
> What is the advantage of doing to the strnlen()? As Stefan says, the
> code which follows will detect a short string, in that a NULL is not
> in [0-9a-f], nor a : .

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that, the strchr() call in the
original code or isxdigit() in the follow up change will trash a cache a
bit. Besides that some of the users are (often?) supplying empty strings
to convert from, and in this case makes sense to bail out fast.

Alexey, can you shed a light here?

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko at linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy