[RFC/RFT PATCH 0/2] arm64: per-task stack canaries

Laura Abbott labbott at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 12:20:01 PST 2018

On 01/23/2018 05:03 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> This is a proof of concept implementation of per-task stack canaries for
> arm64. The purpose is to reach agreement between the arm64 kernel and GCC
> maintainers on how to implement support for this in the compiler.
>
> What these patches show is that we can support per-task stack canaries
> on arm64 using only very minor changes on the kernel side, i.e., all
> that is needed is exposing the offset of stack_canary in task_struct
> via an ELF symbol. With that in place, the compiler needs to emit the
> following sequence when -fstack-protector-guard=tls is enabled
>
>    movz    xN, :abs_g0:__stack_chk_guard_offset
>    msr     xM, sp_el0
>    ldr     xM, [xM, xN]
>
> Note that this does not involve per-CPU variables, and so there are no
> concurrency issues to be addressed. sp_el0 is the current task pointer,
> whose value never changes from the POV of the task, even when migrating
> to another CPU.
>
> Patch #1 implements a GCC plugin that patches the sequence
>
>    adrp    xN, __stack_chk_guard
>    add     xN, Xn, :lo12:__stack_chk_guard
>
> into
>
>    mrs     xN, sp_el0
>    add     xN, xN, :lo12:__stack_chk_guard_offset
>
> which is a poor man's version of the movz/msr/ldr sequence above (and only
> works for small model code), but is sufficient as a proof of concept.
>
> Patch #2 exposes the __stack_chk_guard_offset symbol and wires up the plugin
> (if enabled in Kconfig)
>
> Again, the point is not to use GCC plugin based hacks, but to reach agreement
> on how to proceed with this for GCC.
>
> Comments welcome.

I was seeing some crashes with these when I tried to boot up on my
full Fedora system. It looked like a compiler bug with grabbing
the wrong literal but I don't think it's worth looking at it since
it's probably just something with the plugin which isn't the real
focus here. I can send along the crash if you are interested.

It looked good to me otherwise.