[RFC 2/6] dmaengine: xilinx_dma: Pass AXI4-Stream control words to netdev dma client

Radhey Shyam Pandey radheys at xilinx.com
Tue Apr 17 04:43:56 PDT 2018

Hi Vinod,

In design, if AXI DMA is connected to AXI Ethernet IP there are certain
AXI4-Stream Status fields (RX) that we need to pass to ethernet driver
along with data buffer. An example includes: checksum fields, packet
length etc. To pass these control words there is a structure defined
between dmaengine and client. Before calling the client callback
stream control words are copied to dma client callback_param struct
(only if axieth is connected).

I understand it's not an ideal way and we shouldn't be interpreting
callback_param but couldn't find any better alternative of passing
custom information from dmaengine to client driver and still be
aligned to the framework.

> What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?
As mentioned above we need to pass AXI4-stream words(custom
data) from dmaengine driver to dma client driver(ethernet) for
each DMA descriptor. Current solution populates callback_param
struct (only if axieth is connected). Please let me know if there is
an alternate solution.