[RFC] Improving udelay/ndelay on platforms where that is possible

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon Nov 20 10:31:26 PST 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:38:46AM -0800, Doug Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 02:15:02PM -0800, Doug Anderson wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Presumably, though, you could introduce a new API like:
> >>
> >>   udelay_atleast()
> >>
> >> That was guaranteed to delay at least the given number of
> >> microseconds.  Unlike the current udelay(), the new udelay_atleast()
> >> wouldn't really try that hard to get a delay that's approximately the
> >> one requested, it would just guarantee not to ever delay _less_ than
> >> the amount requested.
> >
> > I look forward to reviewing your implementation.
>
> It's unlikely I'll post a patch in the near term since this isn't
> presenting me with a big problem right now.  Mostly I saw Marc's patch
> and thought it would be a good patch to land and I knew this type of
> thing had bitten me in the past.
>
> One happy result of this whole discussion, though, is that you now
> sound as if you'll be happy the next time someone brings this up since
> you're looking forward to reviewing an implementation.  That's a nice
> change from the original statement questioning why someone was asking
> about this again.  :)

What I'd be happy with, and what I've always been happy with is what I've
stated: either we fix _all_ implementations or none of them.  We can't
have the situation where some implementations give one expectation and
others give something completely different.

That's always been my argument against _just_ fixing the timer-based
delays and ignoring the rest of the problem.

Nothing has changed about my position.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up