Build failure with verify size in next-20171102

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Thu Nov 2 16:20:39 PDT 2017

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 12:30:27PM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Hi Russeell,
>
> I think you're already aware of the build failure caused by commit
> 078c0927485e ("ARM: verify size of zImage"), but here's info just
> in case.
>
> arm-unknown-linux-musleabi-ld.bfd: error: zImage file size is incorrect
> make[2]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile:185: arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/Makefile:64: arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
> make: *** [arch/arm/Makefile:335: zImage] Error 2
>
> Other than that I was surprised that next actually booted for me
> after a few week break with Linux next! :)

It would be nice if people can investigate why that happens - I'm
completely unable to reproduce it locally, even if I link using
the same vmlinux.lds file and the objects from someone who sees the
failure.

There's some binutils version specific stuff that's going on here.

What I have in my current for-next, which I'm intending to push,
is all the same patches except the patch that introduces the above
check is subsituted by a patch that produces an extra _edata_real
symbol.  This _should_ match _edata.  So, if you hit this failure,
try either my current for-next branch or tomorrow's linux-next, and
run arm-linux-nm on arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux and check the
addresses given for _edata and _edata_real.

Theory says they should be identical, but the failure of that assert
could only happen if "." inside the output section was different from
_edata assigned outside.  _edata_real is now the address of "." inside
the output section.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up