may_use_simd on aarch64, chacha20

Dave Martin Dave.Martin at arm.com
Fri May 26 06:28:09 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 10:55:20PM +0200, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> (+ Dave)

Apologies for the slow reply -- hopefully this is still useful.

> > On 21 May 2017, at 19:02, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I noticed that the ARM implementation [1] of chacha20 makes a check to
> > may_use_simd(), but the ARM64 implementation [2] does not. Question 1:
> > is this a bug, in which case I'll submit a patch shortly, or is this
> > intentional? In case of the latter, could somebody explain the
> > reasoning?
>
> This is intentional. arm64 supports kernel mode NEON in any context,
> whereas ARM only supports it in process context. This is due to the way
> lazy FP restore is implemented on ARM. However, we are about to change
> this on arm64 to only allow non-nested kernel mode NEON, similar to
> x86. This is necessary to support SVE.
>
> > On a similar note, the only ARM64 glue code that uses
> > may_use_simd() is sha256; everything else does not. Shall I submit a
> > substantial patch series to fix this up everywhere?
> >

> Currently, may_use_simd() is only used as a hint on arm64 whether it
> makes sense to offload crypto to process context. In the sha256 code,
> whose arm64 neon implementation is only marginally faster than scalar
> on some micro-architectures, it is used to prefer the scalar code in
> interrupt context, because the NEON code preserves/restores the NEON
> state of the interrupted context eagerly, which is costly.
>
> > Secondly, I noticed that may_use_simd() is essentially aliased to
> > !in_interrupt(), since it uses the asm-generic variety. Question 2:
> > Isn't this overkill? Couldn't we make an arm/arm64 variant of this
> > that only checks in_irq()?
> >

> No. ARM does not support kernel mode NEON in softirq context, and
> arm64 will soon have its own override that only allows non-nested use
> in softirq context.
>
> > Lastly, APIs like pcrypts and padata execute with bottom halves
> > disabled, even though their actual execution environment is process
> > context, via a workqueue. Thus, here, in_interrupt() will always be
> > true, even though this is likely a place where we want to use simd.
> > Question 3: is there something better that could be done?
>
> I guess we should switch to in_serving_softirq() instead.

For context, the arm64 kernel-mode NEON refactoring I've been working
on [1] defines may_use_simd() to indicate whether calling
kernel_neon_begin() is safe or not, rather then being a hint about
whether it is desirable to do so.

This changes the definition of may_use_simd() to something that is
probably appropriate for your scenario.  From process context without
any outer kernel_neon_begin()...kernel_neon_end(), it should return
true.

In general, callers in any context should do something like:

	if (may_use_simd()) {
		kernel_neon_begin();
		/* SIMD implementation */
		kernel_neon_end();
	} else {
		/* fallback implementation, or defer to another context */
	}

Even from task context where may_use_simd() should always return true
and thus where the fallback path can be omitted, it may be a good idea
to do something like

	if (!may_use_simd()) {
		WARN_ON(1);
		return -EBUSY;
	}

... or similar.

If the semantics or name don't feel right, I'm happy to change them.

Cheers
---Dave

[1] lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2017-May/508901.html
(arm64: neon: Remove support for nested or hardirq kernel-mode NEON)