[GIT PULL (RESEND)] ARM: uniphier: UniPhier fixes for v4.12

Masahiro Yamada yamada.masahiro at socionext.com
Thu May 25 18:42:14 PDT 2017

Hi Olof,

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:03:49AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>> Hi Arnd, Olof,
>>
>> Last week, I thought I found a problem in my pull request,
>> but it turned out my misunderstanding.
>>
>> So, my pull request I sent is OK.
>> I am re-sending this request mail for clarification.
>>
>> Here are some ARM UniPhier SoC fixes for v4.12.
>> Due to the eMMC driver update, PHY parameters must be specified
>> via DT to make the eMMC controller work again.
>
> That's not good, that's a regression in behavior. The driver should
> have a fallback when the properties are not present to avoid regressions
> like these.

Right.  The care for old DT is missing from the driver change.
Theoretically, it is a regression if Linux 4.12 kernel image is used with
DT from Linux 4.11 tree.

However, all our customer products are based on Linux 4.4 (or older)
so I am sure there is no practical problem.
Because the eMMC driver was not upstreamed at that time,
products kernels are locally patched as needed.

I am upstreaming patches to create a better code base for future products, but
Linux 4.11 and 4.12 are not LTS, so never used at least on socionext products.

> Please work with the driver maintainer to either get them to revert
> their change that regresses you, or promptly fix it appropriately with
> fallback values.

You are right, but this is a different issue.

If you are unhappy with pulling this as a fix
(because it is not DT but the driver that should be fixed),
I can include the DT changes in usual PRs for v4.13-rc1.

As I said above, I admit this is not fatal for us
because socionext kernel developers are co-located
and know the upstream status.

> Also, the driver changes were commited back in March, with plenty of time
> to land DT changes well before the merge window. Waiting until the merge
> window is closed is not appropriate -- this should have come in earlier.

You are right.
But, v4.11-rc4 had already passed and I had already sent the pull request
before the driver change was merged.

I generally try to send my PRs around -rc4
because "sorry, this is too late" is scary.
I should have sent the second pull request.
If you do not mind some after -rc4, I will do late PRs next time.

So, what should I do about this?

If you do not want to pull this, I will move the patches
to for-v4.13 branch, which will be sent around -rc4.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada