[Question] firmware/psci.c: prevent registering pm_power_off

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Mon Mar 27 06:36:53 PDT 2017

Problem: The board uses gpio-poweroff to power down, because the "kill" signal
is controlled by an I2C IO expander. This doesn't work because
drivers/firmware/psci.c unconditionally registers pm_power_off, resulting in
the gpio-poweroff driver to refuse to register. The PSCI firmware isn't
actually capable of really turning off the power, but there appears to be no
way to tell the psci driver about that.

My current workaround is to patch firmware/psci.c and remove this line:

pm_power_off = psci_sys_poweroff;

However, it would be desirable to have this under, for example, devicetree
control. The structure of psci.c doesn't really make that an easy option
though, but I'm willing to create a patch to do so.

Is this an option, or is there some ongoing effort in the kernel to make
pm_power_off into something more managable?

An alternative approach would be to add a flag to the gpio-poweroff to
override the pm_power_off value. Would that be a lesser evil?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products