Neophyte questions about PCIe

Bjorn Helgaas helgaas at kernel.org
Mon Mar 13 15:46:20 PDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:57:48PM +0100, Mason wrote:
> On 13/03/2017 22:40, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> >> And this is where the elusive "black magic" happens.
> >>
> >> Is it "safe" to configure a BAR behind Linux's back?
> >
> > No.  Linux maintains a struct resource for every BAR.  This quirk
> > makes the BAR out of sync with the resource, so Linux no longer has an
> > accurate idea of what bus address space is consumed and what is
> > available.
>
> Even when Linux is not able to map the BAR, since it's too
> large to fit in the mem window?

I don't think there's much point in advertising a BAR that isn't
really a BAR and making assumptions about how Linux will handle it.
So my answer remains "No, I don't think it's a good idea to change a
BAR behind the back of the PCI core.  It might work now, but there's
no guarantee it will keep working."

> > Normally a BAR is for mapping device registers into PCI bus address
> > space.  If this BAR controls how the RC forwards PCI DMA transactions
> > to RAM, then it's not really a BAR and you should prevent Linux from
> > seeing it as a BAR.  You could do this by special-casing it in the
> > config accessor so reads return 0 and writes are dropped.  Then you
> > could write the register in your host bridge driver safely because the
> > PCI core would think the BAR is not implemented.
>
> In fact, that's what I used to do in a previous version :-)
>
> I'd like to push support for this PCIe controller upstream.
>
> Is the code I posted on the right track?
> Maybe I can post a RFC patch tomorrow?

No need to ask before posting a patch :)