Neophyte questions about PCIe

Mason slash.tmp at free.fr
Fri Mar 10 07:33:07 PST 2017

On 10/03/2017 16:14, David Laight wrote:

> Mason wrote:
>
>> My RC drops packets not targeting its BAR0.
>
> I suspect the fpga/cpld logic supports RC and endpoint modes
> and is using much the same names for the registers (and logic
> implementation).

Your guess is spot on.

In the controller's MMIO registers, the so-called core_conf_0
register has the following field:

chip_is_root: 1 means tango is root port, 0 means tango is endpoint.

> If your cpu support more than 1GB of memory but only part is
> PCIe accessible you'll have to ensure that all the memory
> definitions are set correctly and 'bounce buffers' used for
> some operations.

Do you mean I would have to "fix" something in the XHCI driver?

Hopefully, no customer plans to give Linux more than 1 GB.
(Although the latest systems do support 4 GB... A lot of it is
used for video buffers, handled outside Linux.)

Regards.