[Question] devm_kmalloc() for DMA ?

Masahiro Yamada yamada.masahiro at socionext.com
Wed Mar 8 19:25:07 PST 2017

Hi Russell, Lars-Peter,

Thanks for your expert comments.

> On 03/08/2017 10:19 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

>>> On ARM. But my understanding is that this is not a universal requirement
>>> according to DMA-API.txt. It says that mappings must be cache line aligned
>>> and otherwise behavior is undefined.
>>
>> There is no use of the term "undefined" in the document you refer to.
>>
>> There is the recommendation that regions are cache line aligned, but
>> there is quite a bit of history in the kernel where DMA has been to
>> regions that are not cache line aligned, and where the DMA region
>> overlaps with data that has recent accesses made to it.
>
> I says: "Warnings:  Memory coherency operates at a granularity called the
> cache line width.  In order for memory mapped by this API to operate
> correctly, the mapped region must begin exactly on a cache line
> boundary and end exactly on one." That doesn't sound like a recommendation
> to me. "should" usually implies a recommendation while "must" indicates a
> hard requirement.
>
> I believe e.g. MIPS will align the address by masking the lower bits off,
> without any flushes. Wouldn't be surprised if other architectures do the same.
>

>> The situation is improving (in that DMA buffers are being allocated
>> separately, rather than being part of some other structure) but that
>> doesn't mean that it's safe to assume that overlapping cache lines can
>> be invalidated.
>>
>> In any case, DMA with devm allocated buffers really is not a good idea.
>
> I very much agree with that part.

I understood devm_k*alloc() is not good for DMA.

Now I am tackling on improvement of drivers/mtd/nand/denali.c
and I'd like to make the situation better.

I thought 3 choices.

Is there anything recommended, or should be avoided?

(a)  Change devm_kmalloc() to return address aligned with ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN.

(b)  Give alignment in your driver if you still want to use devm_.

     denali->buf = devm_kmalloc(dev, bufsize + ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN,
                                GFP_KERNEL | GFP_DMA);
     if (!denali->buf) {
             (error_handling)
     }

     denali->buf = PTR_ALIGN(denali->buf, ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN);

(c) Use kmalloc() and kfree().   (be careful for memory leak)

Thanks!

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada