Drivers taking different actions depending on sleep state

Rafael J. Wysocki rafael at kernel.org
Wed Jun 21 15:57:38 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:48 AM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2017 02:59 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> I am not sure this would be cleaner, because that would create a tighter
>>> dependency between different drivers, each of them having their
>>> suspend/resume routings and the driver that implements the
>>> platform_suspend_ops, that could also create some nice layering
>>> violations and some difficult to solve dependencies.

>>> It may be platform dependent, but the actual system-wide suspend/resume
>>> implementations can vary a lot. For example you may have started with
>>> some particular CPU architecture on your platforms, with one driver
>>> implementing an instance of platform_suspend_ops, and then as you moved
>>> to another CPU architecture, some of that could be managed by a generic
>>> driver (e.g: ARM SCPI, ACPI etc. etc.).
>>>
>>> The same HW blocks are likely to be present on these different SoCs, and
>>> have the same requirements where they need to see a slightly different
>>> path taken on suspend/resume. If we have to patch both the "legacy"
>>> platform_suspend_ops, and the "new" platform_suspend_ops that does not
>>> really scale.
>>>
>>> Would it be that much of a stretch if we reflected e.g:
>>> PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY, PM_SUSPEND_MEM into the pm_message_t that is
>>> communicated to platform_driver::suspend and platform_driver::resume?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean, really.
>>
>> The ->suspend callback in struct platform_driver has been long deprecated.
>
> What I mean is that we could take advantage of the pm_message_t argument
> passed to platform_driver::resume and platform_driver::resume to
> communicate the system sleep state we are about to enter (and conversely
> exit).

So the ->suspend and ->resume callbacks in struct platform_driver
(which I think is what you are referring to) are legacy.

The majority of drivers I know about use struct dev_pm_ops and the
callbacks in there do not take the pm_message_t argument.

Moreover, even if they did take it, the exact meaning of
PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY and PM_SUSPEND_MEM is platform-specific and drivers
would need to find out what they actually mean for the given platform
somehow anyway.

> This would allow drivers to take a different path whether e.g:
> pm_message_t == PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY or PM_SUSPEND_MEM.
>
> If these are deprecated, then should we introduce a global getter
> function that reflects which suspend state we are about to enter?  This
> would allow drivers do to something like (pseudo code):
>
> static int drv_suspend(struct device d)
> {
>         suspend_state_t state = suspend_get_state();
>
>         switch (state) {
>         case PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY:
>                 return 0;
>         case PM_SUSPEND_MEM:
>                 /* save HW context */
> }

That is conceivable, but again, the meaning of STANDBY and MEM is
platform-specific.  Actions to be taken for, say, STANDBY, may differ
from one platform to another.

Thanks,
Rafael