[GIT PULL] ARM: realtek: arm64 for v4.12

Andreas Färber afaerber at suse.de
Fri Jun 2 20:47:03 PDT 2017

Am 02.06.2017 um 21:33 schrieb Olof Johansson:
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 6:07 AM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

>>> Arnd had told me to rebase onto v4.12-rc1 (from v4.11-rc1) but to not
>>> wait for the 4.13 merge window. Therefore I submitted it for 4.12.
>>> Miscommunication? Either way works for me.
>>
>> To clarify: by "4.13 merge window", I meant the time when we send pull
>> requests to Linus, i.e. the two weeks between the 4.12 release and
>> 4.13-rc1.
>>
>> Since you want the pull request to be part of 4.13, you need to send it
>> between 4.12-rc1 and 4.13 (ideally early during that time frame), and
>> have it based on 4.12-rc1. The patches were based on 4.11-rc before,
>> so I recommended rebasing to reduce the gap between the base
>> and the merge commit.
>>
>> Does it make sense now?

Yeah, so it was indeed a miscommunication. With 4.13 merge window I had
mainly meant what to name my branches. I have now renamed them from
realtek/v4.12/foo to realtek/v4.13/foo. Similarly, my tags that you
pulled had the 4.12 version (I could've fixed that in a v2).

> And just to clarify: You did exactly what we want our platform
> maintainers to do, Andreas -- the only disconnect seems to be that it
> was 4.13 material instead of 4.12 by now.
>
> I.e. timing for sending this is great -- please do it as early as you
> can during -rc series, and try to get amount of submissions down to
> mostly a trickle towards -rc6 and later, i.e. only smaller incremental
> stuff with the bulk landing early.
>
> If you can. :)

Well, whatever we can sort out with Realtek as example will make the
next ones easier. :)

Actions Semi will need twice the amount of branches and has dependencies
between dt and dt64 bindings, as well as actual C code for mach-actions,
plus tty, clocksource and power domain driver dependencies.

>>> Now that you have merged ARCH_REALTEK here, should we update the arm64
>>> defconfig to enable it? I just verified on arm-soc.git for-next that's
>>> it's disabled by default; the only other disabled ones are ARCH_BRCMSTB
>>> and to-be-dropped ARCH_VULCAN. Question is, should it be useful to users
>>> before we do so, or is build-testing enough of a reason?
>>
>> I'd leave that up to you. Send a patch or pull request when you think it should
>> be enabled. I'd tend to having it only enabled when it at least boots on some
>> hardware, but we haven't had strong rules about that so far.
>
> Agreed. We can enable now or later, no big deal.
>
> Getting build coverage early doesn't hurt but if it doesn't really
> boot anywhere there's not much other use in enabling.

Let's wait until we have more than DTs then.

Arnd's QNAP link has code for the "Realtek,rtk-irq-mux" node needed for
serial interrupts in arch/arm/mach-rtk119x/rtk_irq_mux.c - will look
into forward-porting that, for non-earlycon serial output without hacks.

Thanks,
Andreas

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)