Warning dump on OMAP-L138 when g_zero module is removed

Alexandre Bailon abailon at baylibre.com
Fri Jul 21 08:18:17 PDT 2017

Hi Sekhar,

On 07/10/2017 01:00 PM, Sekhar Nori wrote:
> On Thursday 06 July 2017 10:43 PM, Alexandre Bailon wrote:
>> On 06/29/2017 03:50 PM, Sekhar Nori wrote:
>>> Hi Alexandre, Bin,
>>>
>>> With latest linux-next, I see a warning dump when I remove g_zero[1] on
>>> OMAP-L138 LCDK board. I am building the kernel with davinci_all_defconfig.
>>>
>>> It is not present in latest mainline because the warnings are introduced
>>> with CPPI DMA getting enabled in latest -next.
>>>
>>> Subsequent insertion of g_ether leads to a warning too[2], although the
>>> gadget seems to work (ping test).
>>>
>>> Since these are pretty annoying, it will be nice to get rid of them. I
>>> have not been able to debug any further. But if you have
>>> ideas/experiments to try, I can do that.
>
>> I got a lot of these warnings during development but it was only for the
>> host mode.
>> If I remember correctly, the cause was a race between the teardown
>> function and the interrupt handler.
>> The teardwon descriptor was pop from the queue by the interrupt handler,
>> preventing cppi41_tear_down_chan() to get it, which will result after
>> some retries to a couple of warnings.
>>
>> I will take a look to see if that is the same issue.
That is not the same issue. Still, for some reasons, we never get the
teardown descriptor.
Two possibilities:
 - Like the issue I had, the teardown is pop at the wrong place.
 - The teardown doesn't complete or the descriptor is not queued.

I think we should eliminate the first one before to work on the second one.
I think adding some logs to cppi41_pop_desc() could help to figure out
what is happening.

> Thanks! I also see similar warnings under fast ping traffic and g_ether
> inserted on LCDK. They dont come immediately though. Only after an hour
> or so under traffic.
I would not have expected to have them during a ping but this probably
happens because some USB packet have timed out, which cause may a teardown.

> I can those provide logs too if its going to be helpful.
Currently, I think we should focus on the warnings that happens during
the rmmod as they are always reproducible.

Thanks,
Alexandre