[RFC 1/2] PM / suspend: Add platform_suspend_target_state()

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at rjwysocki.net
Sun Jul 16 03:22:08 PDT 2017

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 07:36:21 PM Florian Fainelli wrote:

> On 07/15/2017 04:38 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > But it may be hard to convince everybody without posting code changes
> > and often enough showing a patch makes a good argument.
>
> I had the patches ready last night, saw the emails this morning and
> decided to go mountain bike for a bit to think about it some more. You
> will find my follow-up patches that hopefully implement your recommendation.

OK, thanks!

There is one problem with this I missed before, though, sorry about that.

Drivers need to be able to distinguish between suspend-to-idle and the platform
states too, so we need to store the argument passed to suspend_devices_and_enter()
somewhere too, either in the core or in the platform code.

And if we need to store it anyway, let's just store it in the core in a global var
(say pm_suspend_target_state), export that and be done.

There still will be a concern regarding drivers that care about differences between
PM_SUSPEND_MEM and PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY, because those differences are
platform-dependent, but let's defer addressing this until we have a driver
that needs to run on different platforms with different definitions for those
things.

That should address the Pavel's objections too I guess.

Thanks,
Rafael