Porting a custom interrupt handler from kernel 2.6.25 to 3.16.45

Mircea Ciocan mirceac at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 09:32:29 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Andrew Lunn <andrew at lunn.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:23:41AM +0200, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
>> Hello everybody, I'm new to the intricacies of the ARM platform
>> interrupt handling and I have to port a custom interrupt handler from
>> 2.6.25 to 3.16.45.
>
> Hi Mircea
>
> Could you please take a step back and explain why you need a custom
> interrupt handler.
>
>           Andrew

Hi Andrew, sure I can explain, or at least offer the original
explanation of the long lost developer:
The ARM core has a custom interrupt controller and a DSP co-processor
that does some funny (read strange & abnormal) stuff.
And I can say that the "standard" kernel infrastructure is not overly
documented, I'm still struggle to understand the full purpose of
the *get_irqnr_preamble* and *get_irqnr_and_base* macros.
I'm trying to use the existing infrastructure, to boot at least
without the co-processor, but without documentation is difficult.

 Best regards, Mircea