v4.10-rc4 to v4.10-rc5: battery regression on Nokia N900

Zhang Rui rui.zhang at intel.com
Fri Jan 27 06:40:33 PST 2017

On Thu, 2017-01-26 at 22:27 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 01/26/2017 07:39 PM, Zhang Rui wrote:

> > > That sounds like fun. Changing bq27200-0 to bq27200_0 is
> > > Forbidden by
> > > the ABI Police, but taking the entire device away is ok.
> > >
> > No. IMO, it depends on if the interface is used or not.
> > If hwmon I/F is used, we can not take it away, nor change its name.
> Even if the use doesn't depend on that name ?

when I said "the interface is used", I mean the name string is used.

> > If thermal zone I/F is used, we can not change it's 'type' name to
> > be
> > compatible with new hwmon API.
> >
> You mean you can not fix the name to be compatible with libsensors.

We can try to convert it to a libsensor-compatible string, either for
hwmon only, or for both thermal and hwmon. But this is an ABI change,
right?
And my understanding about the ABI change is that, if no one cares
about it, we're okay, or else, this is a regression, and we need to
fall back to the previous ABI immediately. In order to change it in a
long run, we need to make a note in Documentation/ABI/, and change it
sometime in the future (a couple of release cycles or even more).
This also happens when I was trying to delete the obsoltete

thanks,
rui