Initializing MAC address at run-time

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Thu Jan 19 08:26:52 PST 2017

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 04:31:56PM +0100, Mason wrote:
> Do you agree that such boot loader would execute code that is roughly
> identical to the one posted for illustration purposes?
>   1. find the MAC address to use for eth0
>   2. find the eth0 node in the DT
>   3. insert the right prop in the eth0 node

yes.

> In which case, it seems a waste to add the DT library to the boot
> loader, when the operation can be done in Linux, which requires the
> DT library anyway. (Additionally, adding DT support to some custom
> legacy boot loader might be a complex task.)

With this reasoning you can discuss away the bootloader. Linux relies on
a bootloader for a reason. It's there to initialize RAM and some further
things that Linux might not be able to and provide a machine description
to Linux (either in form of a dtb or an ATAG list) such that Linux
doesn't need to fiddle with machine specific stuff in early init code.

> >  c) Adapt the dtb before it is written to the boot medium.
>
> This is not applicable, as the DTB is not written to the board.

Ah, then adapt the dtb before it is put into the tftp folder.

> >  d) Let the bootloader configure the device and teach the driver to pick
> >     up the mac from the device's address space.
>
> I'm not sure what you call "the device" ?

The network device. IIRC the fec driver checks if there is something
configured in the two registers configuring the MAC before falling back
to a random MAC.

> >  e) Accept that the mac address is random during development, and make
> >     Userspace configure the MAC address, which is early enough for
> >     production use.
>
> During development, some devs configure the DHCP server to provide
> a specific uImage and/or rootfs to their board, based on the MAC
> address. This scheme would fall apart with a random MAC.
>
> > Not sure d) is considered ok today, but some drivers have this feature.
> > I'd say b) is the best choice.
>
> In my mind, doing it early in Linux is similar in spirit to doing it
> at the boot loader stage, in that it's neatly separated from the rest
> of the setup.

Sure you can do this. But it won't be accepted mainline for sure.

Best regards
Uwe