[RFC] Kernel panic down to swiotlb when doing insmod a simple driver

Ard Biesheuvel ard.biesheuvel at linaro.org
Fri Jan 13 03:54:40 PST 2017

On 13 January 2017 at 11:52, Robin Murphy <robin.murphy at arm.com> wrote:
> On 13/01/17 11:49, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

>>> Does that alignment also implicitly apply to the size, though? In other
>>> words, given:
>>>
>>> static int X
>>> static int __aligned(32) Y;
>>> static int Z;
>>>
>>> is it guaranteed that if, say, X gets placed at .data + 0, so Y goes to
>>> .data + 32, then Z *cannot* be placed at .data + 36?
>>>

>> I'm not sure if I understand the question: why would it be incorrect
>> for Z to be placed at .data + 36?
>
> Because they'd then wind up in the same cache line, so non-coherent DMA
> to Y will result in concurrent CPU updates to Z being lost/corrupted.
> ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN isn't about alignemnt per se, it's about keeping
> things in distinct cache writeback granules.

I understand that. But the original code did

 u8 __aligned(32) buf[PAGE_SIZE]; //global here in ko driver file

so there the size is guaranteed to be a multiple of the CWG

So to answer your question: no, the compiler will not round up the
size of the allocation to the alignment, it will only align the start.