arm64: virt_to_page() does not return right page for a kernel image address

Pratyush Anand panand at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 03:58:32 PST 2017

Hi Mark,

On Wednesday 04 January 2017 04:41 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> Other than the (new) crypto test and the (not yet upstream) kdump
> patches, does any code rely on virt_to_page() working for a kernel image
> address? If so, and if we cannot fix those in the short term, we may
> want to temporarily revert commit 9f2875912dac35d9 until those are fixed
> up.
>
> Regardless, I think that the kdump code should not rely on
> virt_to_page() for a kernel image (or kmap) result.

Its not the kdump code which is relying on virt_to_page() for a kernel
image.

Its only crypto test which does that. In the first kernel (none kdump
case) also crypto test gets a wrong kmap_atomic() address, however
luckily there exists an entry for that address in page table and so a
valid corresponding physical location. Therefore, it is just that we do
not see the crash. I see still the crypto test failure print in the 1st
kernel.
However, in crash kernel there was no valid physical address and so the
kernel crashed.

~Pratyush