WARNING: suspicious RCU usage

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Dec 10 13:39:30 PST 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 07:34:39PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:07:27AM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 12:00:12PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > +Paul
> > >
> > > Annoyingly, it looks like calling "complete()" from a dying CPU is
> > > triggering the RCU usage warning.  From what I remember, this is an
> > > old problem, and we still have no better solution for this other than
> > > to persist with the warning.
> >
> > I thought that this issue was resolved with tglx's use of IPIs from
> > the outgoing CPU.  Or is this due to an additional complete() from the
> > ARM code?  If so, could it also use tglx's IPI trick?
>
> I don't think it was tglx's IPI trick, I've had code sitting in my tree
> for a while for it, but it has its own set of problems which are not
> resolvable:
>
> 1. it needs more IPIs than we have available on all platforms

OK, I will ask the stupid question...  Is it possible to multiplex
the IPIs, for example, by using smp_call_function_single()?

> 2. there's some optional locking in the GIC driver that cause problems
>    for the cpu dying path.

On this, I must plead ignorance.

> The concensus last time around was that the IPI solution is a non-
> starter, so the seven year proven-reliable solution (disregarding the
> RCU warning) persists because I don't think anyone came up with a
> better solution.

Seven years already?  Sigh, I don't have the heart to check because
I wouldn't want to find out that it has actually been longer.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul