[RFC 00/11] KVM, EFI, arm64: EFI Runtime Services Sandboxing

Christoffer Dall cdall at linaro.org
Thu Aug 31 02:26:15 PDT 2017

Hi Florent,

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 09:31:30AM +0100, Florent Revest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This series implements a mechanism to sandbox EFI Runtime Services on arm64.
> It can be enabled with CONFIG_EFI_SANDBOX. At boot it spawns an internal KVM
> virtual machine that is ran everytime an EFI Runtime Service is called. This
> limits the possible security and stability impact of EFI runtime on the kernel.

I wonder if this should be split into two series; one that sets up
anything you may need from KVM, and another one that uses that for UEFI.

There's a lot KVM and UEFI intertwined logic and assumptions in patch
10, which makes this series a bit hard to read.

I'd like some documentation (in the series and in
Documentation/virtual/kvm) of how this works, and which hidden
assumptions there are.  For example, how do you ensure you never attempt
to return to userspace?  How many VCPUs do you support?  Do you support
any form of virtual interrupts?  How about timers?  Can a VM access
physical devices?  How do you debug and trace something like this?  Can
the VM be monitored from userspace?

These feel like fundamental questions to me that needs addressing before
I can competently review the code.

I think a slightly more concrete motivation and outlining the example of
the broken UEFI on Seattle would help paving the way for these patches.

Thanks,
-Christoffer