linux-next regression caused by "gpiolib: request the gpio before querying its direction"

Timur Tabi timur at codeaurora.org
Wed Aug 30 07:22:55 PDT 2017

On 8/30/17 9:17 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> So what Timur is saying perhaps is that
> mvebu_pinmux_gpio_request_enable() shouldn't be changing the type of
> muxing, and therefore shouldn't be calling mvebu_pinconf_group_set().
>
> However, even the "reference" pinctrl-single.c implementation does it,
> in pcs_request_gpio().
>
> Am I missing something ?

No, that's it.  The question is, what exactly should the 'request'
function do?  Should it be modifying the hardware to satisfy the
request?  When I wrote my patch, I assumed that it wouldn't.  I thought
that request simply answered the question, "can I touch this GPIO"?

The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the
Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation.