Possible regression between 4.9 and 4.13

Mason slash.tmp at free.fr
Wed Aug 30 02:37:41 PDT 2017

On 30/08/2017 11:07, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

> Please don't forget to mention that this is quirky hardware that
> depends on BROKEN because it multiplexes MMIO and config space
> accesses in the same memory window without any locking whatsoever
> (which would be difficult to do in the first place because we don't
> use accessors for MMIO in the kernel).

You're right, it was in the back of my mind, but I didn't state
it explicitly for the benefit of linux-usb readers.

> So how likely is it that you are attempting to read from the xhci BAR
> window while a config space access is in progress? Any way to
> instrument this in your driver?

I logged config space accesses here:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg602832.html

IIRC, the config space accesses are generated by the AER ISR.
So disabling the AER driver should guarantee that no config space
accesses are occurring when the drive is unplugged.

Regards.