[RFC 1/3] dt-bindings: rtc: Add Realtek RTD1295

Andreas Färber afaerber at suse.de
Sun Aug 27 10:26:11 PDT 2017

Hi Andrew,

Am 27.08.2017 um 15:47 schrieb Andrew Lunn:
>> Thanks. Did you read the RFC question in the cover letter as well and
>> have any comments? Downstream has an rtc-base-year = <2014>; property
>> that I had left out in this RFC and due to your ack not included in v2.
>>
>> Should we default to 2014 in the driver and add an optional base-year
>> property once we encounter a diverging device, or should we make it
>> required from the beginning? I did not spot any other rtc binding with
>> such a property and would appreciate a clarification.
>
> From the perspective of the hardware, does it care what the base is?

The hardware stores a 15-bit number of days since Jan 1st of that base
year. It does not store the base year.

The datasheet does not name such a base year. No manual is available.

The driver needs to get it from somewhere for calculating day/month/year
in read_time and days in set_time.

The read_offset/set_offset API appeared to be something different.

> A device using a different base will initially return the wrong
> time. But once the correct time has been written back, it will be O.K.
>
> This only becomes an issue if a device is used with different OSs,
> which have different bases. Swapping back and forth between OSs then
> becomes an issue.

These are TV boxes, so yes, I'm dual-booting into Android with a vendor
4.1 kernel and would like to keep date compatibility.

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Zidoo_X9S
https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:ProBox2_Ava
https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Lake1

As stated in the v2 rtc commit message, 2014 is the base year
encountered on all three devices that I've had access to.
@Jiang, if you're using a different base year, please speak up!

> KISS suggests not having a base in DT until it is actually
> required. Since it is an additional property, it does not break
> backwards compatibility when added.

That's what I've attempted here - but for RDA8810PL serial Rob said he
did not want future changes to my binding, therefore I am asking for his
confirmation here.

Regards,
Andreas

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)